My Process on Cleaning Windows Systems
When I get asked to “take a look at something”, in general I know what needs to be done. The user hasn’t cleaned or maintained their PC. So what do I do to clean and optimize?
- Install Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) or update paid subscription AV. I will leave scanning for over night.
- Install any/all Microsoft (Windows) Updates
- Uninstall any old/no longer required programs
- Update Software
- Java http://www.java.com/en/
- Adobe Reader http://get.adobe.com/reader/
- Adobe Flash http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
- Install/Run CCleaner to clean out any temporary files, or files no longer needed.
- Install Defraggler, run it on the primary drive or the worst fragmented.
- Run WinDirStat to find the biggest files/folders in order to possibly delete them.
Image Source: http://i.bnet.com/blogs/mr-clean.jpg